Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Bible Study Time: Faith


I am not the one who really pays any attention to the words of God before. Yes, I even tried my best to waste lots of my time not to read His words and pondering about it. But in fact, the words of His never really leave me and even often giving me courage. So I am trying my best to share it to the people who might have the chance to read this. I am not a saint, I had my share of doing bad things too, but I am learning to become a better person. I am not trying to put my way of seeing things, but I also put my foot on how people in average see things. I cannot compare each and every religion because I’m not studying all of those, so I simply put what I know of, which is Christianity.

If you asked me how I choose what I believe in, I would say that it is a “faith”. I simply choose to have faith in what I believe in. What is faith?
Dictionary version would be:

faith  /fāTH/
Noun
  1. Complete trust or confidence in someone or something.
  2. Strong belief in God or in the doctrines of a religion, based on spiritual apprehension rather than proof.
Synonyms
 belief - trust - confidence - credence – credit

And yes, even in the Bible said so too:

Now FAITH is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. (Hebrew 11:1)

So basically, people in this world choose their each and every god they believe in just because of the faith they have in it and not because of what they have seen. But how does one know which to believe? Which to put their faith into? And how does it become a religion? It must be because they hear something about it, and then trying to put a word about it too, to everyone that cares to hear it. It also the same thing like how one idolize someone. They know, they see, and they telltale it to everyone.

So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ. (Romans 10:17)

Then, why do people choose to have faith in something that is not scientifically proven? Simply it is because they seek salvation. Because they don’t know what lies after they die. Because no one that they know of, that is close to them, came back from the death to tell the tale of what lies ahead.
Within the Bible, there’s also saying something like that.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—(Ephesians 2:8)

But then, even if one already put his faith in one thing, believing that everything will run smoothly for them, they will also found problem arises in their live. “Shit happens” is the common term. And yet you said: “But I already believe in Him!” Yes. You did. Well done. But what makes you different then? It’s what you will do with the faith you have in you.

You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! (James 2:19)

What does it profit, my brothers, though a man say he has faith, and have not works? can faith save him? (James 2:14)

You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. (James 2:24)

Everything in this world has its reason. Whatever problem you encounter, if you can make through it, you will be able to learn something from it. You gain wisdom, experience, and remember how to get out if you encounter the same problem again.

Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter, you will restore my life again; from the depths of the earth you will again bring me up. (Psalm 71:20)

Because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. (James 1:3)

And after you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, support, strengthen, and establish you. (1 Peter 5: 7-10)

We often doubt about what we believe in. Whether it is true?  Will it change later on to be something we don’t desire? And there are many other questions that may pop up in the time of sufferings. I assure you that God has not substance, therefore He is unseen. But why do you want to believe it? Why you want to put your faith in Him? Because He is, what you’re not.

God is not a man, that he should lie,
nor a son of man, that he should change his mind.
Does he speak and then not act?
Does he promise and not fulfill? (Numbers 23:19)


Within believe that we put our faith into, we surely expecting something to happen. Just like you idolizing someone, you hope that you can get autograph or a selca (self-camera) with the idol, or even be a friend. But how does that happen or apply in the faith sector of God? The answer is simple. It is prayer.

Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. (Matthew 7:7)

But in prayer, there is something that is required for it to be fulfilled. The most simple, but hardest way to do it is what our topic today is. There are many verses in the Bible that are basically saying the same thing. Have faith in what you are asking.

And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.(Matthew 21:22)

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. (Mark 11:24)

And this is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. (1 John 5:14)

He replied, "If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you. (Luke 17:6)

So, in the end, what we believe in, everything that we wanted to be happening in our life, all of those are based on one simple thing. Our own understanding about faith and what we do in its place.

May all of you have a blessed day ahead :)


I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. (2 Timothy 4:7)


No comments:

Post a Comment